Monday, November 3, 2008

No Ordinary Monday

Today was No ordinary Monday!
This morning right after I finished blogging my previous post about Hope I heard a strange noise that sounded like it was from the laundry room area. I had a load of laundry running so I assumed it was something like one of the machines a little off balance. I walked up the hallway and glanced that way but saw nothing alarming so I went back to the computer. 15 minutes later I headed back towards the laundry room to unload the dryer and OH My Goodness, my kitchen was FLOODING! I am not talking a little puddle either-water was gushing out of the refrigerator! I went in to panic mode and grabbed the phone in my completely wet slippers and called Jack who was at his fun college course today-no answer-(found out later he did not even have his cell phone on..we will have serious discussion about that later). So THANK God for good dependable neighbors, I called Susan and she came running in her bathrobe & slippers before I could put the phone down. We literally grabbed every towel in this house to sop up the water that was making its way towards my rugs. Then I opened the fridge door and more water came gushing out. Susan managed to pull out the fridge from the wall and unplug the whole thing as well as the water line without electrocuting herself. The next hour was spent sopping up my flooded kitchen and drying every particle of food inside the refrigerator (that was salvageable) and every container on each shelf that had been totally drenched by the busted water filter. Yep, a completely busted water filter burst inside the 2 year old refridg, breaking off at a point unknown and uncommon according to the GE people.

Here is why I am blogging this, hopefully not boring you to tears. What could have been a complete catastrophe, ended up being a blessing! If I had not been home, every piece of furniture we own would have been soaked and who knows how much else would be covered under water. And if Susan had not been home I would have called a plumber or 911 or something irrational and felt really ridiculous later (and paid a nice price too). She knew exactly what to do and like several times before rescued me from disaster with her fun humor mixed in the midst. And finally, I now have a very clean refrigerator with her great help and I know precisely what food we have on hand! I had to wash 3 full loads of towels after all was said and done but that was nothing compared to what could have been. Today was no ordinary Monday!
Thanks Mrs. SuMe (Annie's special name for her) for all your help and your precious friendship.
(This was NOT taken today of course but 4 years ago at a neighborhood baby shower. Susan helped me immensely that day also.)

No comments: