Friday, March 26, 2010

HONEY oh my WORD evening with the author!

Last year about this time, I discovered the HoneyWord Bible for kids through my friend, Barbara Herring. Her 9 year old granddaughter who went with us on the mission trip to Costa Rica was using it, loved it, and recommended I give one to our 9 year old granddaughter, Sydney, who was having her first communion that Spring.

I actually made a phone call to HoneyWord. Org to order Sydney's Honeyword Bible and ended up talking to Dr. Emmett Cooper, the author, myself in the ordering process! The Coopers live in North Carolina, right outside Charlotte. He and I exchanged common denominators such as his wife went to Auburn (I did too and live here:) and He went to Vanderbilt (my father did too), we love working with children and love the play on words to help learn scripture in a fun way! He and I have emailed since my mission trip and I was able to send him a few pictures of us using the HoneyWord Bible in Costa Rica.
(Barbara's granddaughter, Caroline and me with our HoneyWord Bible's in Costa Rica preparing to give a devotional together)
A year later, just this last week, Barbara had to order a few Bibles herself and she also made her order personally through Dr. Emmett Cooper, himself. ....Long story short, he was coming to Lake Martin to perform a wedding for a friend this weekend and Barbara invited him to dinner and offered her beautiful lake home for he and his wife, Lea, to stay while they were in our area. He accepted and here we are, Barbara, Emmett, and me last night at dinner at the Herring's home on Lake Martin.
The Bible is the New Living Translation with Emmett's highlighting of certain stories and verses in each book of the Bible and making a rhyme to help the verse click and stick in your mind. It is a great learning technique for all of us. I am hooked! My p-brain retains this method a lot easier than the plain way of memorizing. He also uses animals to narrate the stories,(which I love), and suggests activities (which I also love), to reinforce the lesson.
The evening was delightful and Barbara's dinner was like eatting at a 5 star***** restaurant served with all her finest china, etc... We all felt so honored to be together.
Dr. Cooper's dream is to have this Bible translated in to Spanish and for people like you and me to take into the world on our mission trips. For right now, I am using it in english personally and intentionally with my grandchildren and on my mission trips. Here's a sample of his writing from The HoneyWord Bible:
Genny the Jellyfish (Jellyfish sounds like Genesis). A jellyfish is clear, just like everything God created in the beginning. Genesis 1:27 So God created human beings in his own image.
Here is the clicker= Mirror, mirror, on the wall, God's image is in us all.
He gives a little piece about a mirror and how it reflects us and when God made people, he gave us the job of reflecting his image like a mirror. Everyone-including you-has God's image inside. You reflect what God is like just as your mirror reflects how you look!
And I love this take on Isaiah 43:25 "I-yes, I alone- will blot out your sins for my own sake and will never think of them again". Here is the clicker =It's pretty neat how God hits delete. Dr. Cooper suggests to the child to type this lesson on a computer. Underneath it, write a sentence about something wrong that you did that still bothers you. Now highlight your sentence, and with one hit to the delete button, erase it forever! God forgives all your sins just like that. Isn't He great?


post signature

Yes, God is great and I also think Dr. Emmett Cooper is a wonderful reflection of Him through his creative words in the HoneyWord Bible.

No comments: