Friday, November 12, 2010

TLC-Veterans Day-AUMC

Our Church, AUMC, has been developing a relationship with a nearby small town community, Loachapoka, for years. I just recently decided to get involved with this ministry and "give back" some of the TLC that I received from my church and working on mission trips in foreign countries. I felt a little tug in my heart to do something nearby this year and I am just now getting my feet wet.
AUMC hosted a mini VBS on Veterans Day for 70 children, ages 5 to 13.






Such precious faces just reminded me that I have so much to give and blessings to share with those that are not as fortunate as me.

My part in this day with Loachapoka was to be in charge of guess what?....GAMES! Of course I had to try my ants in the pants game on these kids.
It was a whole lot easier working with english speaking kids than spanish speaking but they were very lively and kept 2 of us on our feet for 4 hours :)

it was fun to see each one of them get excited to wear the pants after they won that place bu throwing the ant in.
this little cutie was happy to lay on the gorund waiting on her turn. I noted that all these kids really want is a little fun and attention. I made it my intention to do just that with all 70 of them during their game time.
Seth is a very talented unicyclist in our church and community and he was happy to share his talent with the kids during our last few minutes together.
Those that wanted to could try their own legs on it too.
Feeding them lunch was a gift and gave us a chance to fellowship with them over a good balanced meal of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans and applesauce. I was amazed that many of them asked for seconds on the green beans and applesauce (and defintely the rolls):)
a few of our church member's children helped out with the craft time and experienced what it means to give back on their day off from school.
We had a "Shoebox Ministry Project" for the kids to help with and they too were able to "give back" to children in other countries who have no Christmas.
Each child helped prepare a shoebox filled with gifts for children as well as make a few crafts for themselves.
Lolli's loves just keep on growing!
oh yeah, we tried playing the chicken in the buckett game too. The kids absolutely loved both games and were sad when game time was over.
Me too, I was sad to only have 20 minutes with each group.
The tug on my heart just got stronger this week. I loved being a part of the TLC that was spread today.
After my wonderful day at the church with these kids, I had to make a quick run to the grocery store and lo and behold I ran into one of my dear Potluck friends who had just arrived in town for the big game this weekend. Sarah and I must have stood ther 45 minutes catching up.
I went home so happy and so blessed on this Veterans Day. While I thought about our Veterans who have served and are serving, it gave me much inspiration to keep on serving in ways that I can here at home.

post signature

No comments: