Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sweet Victory

Sweet Victory!
There is nothing like it! During football season we all relish the sweet victory our team can give. Alabama certainly had a big victory last night and Auburn a little one yesterday afternoon. WAR TIDE as we say in our divided house!

I have shared in some victories over time that bring back some sweet memories to me:
Like this one of my "not so athletic" daughter (takes after her mother) when she played goalie for her soccer team and they went into the city finals and won! She endured under a lot of pressure as goalie and built confidence as a team player.

And then there was my son's senior year when his basketball team won the State Championship and he was selected as MVP. He weathered though many years of practising without a father around to shoot hoops with him and guide him through sports drills.

Last night after watching the football games, I started thinking how those Auburn and Alabama guys must feel after their big wins. It caused me to think about years ago when my children had won their own athletic victories.

Then the song, "Victory In Jesus" came to my mind and I started singing it to myself. Not because I was so excited over the football wins, but because I recalled how much victory Jesus has had in all 3 of our lives. Yes, God uses sports as some avenues to claim victories in each of us. There is a whole lot of good that comes from being part of a team. I am thankful my kids had their winning experiences and also for the times they lost too. Those also built important character into them.

Someone asked me not long ago how does God speak to me? Many times through His word, sometimes through other people, other times through nature, and on and on through experiences. Today I was sitting in our worship service and the title of our sermon was Victorious Christianity! And guess what the last song was that we sang? Hymn #370 "Victory in Jesus"! God spoke to me today through a hymn but it began last night after a football game. It was a sweet victory in my soul. There is nothing like it!

post signature

No comments: