Friday, August 20, 2010

My fun getting ready for the Luau

I start preparing for the Luau the same way lots of you start preparing for Christmas! Weeks before (actually months before with plans)! So I thought I might share some of my "pre-Luau" fun I had. I got the idea to have the grandchildren paint a fish to hang as part of our decor from a popular restaurant in town called "Niffers". They have wooden fish hanging everywhere that are painted by students in town. So Pops cut out the wooden shapes for me and during each of the grandchildren's visits this summer I had them paint their own fish. I had to paint some of the littlest ones who did not come to Lolli Camp and I helped with some names on the opposite side but for the most part the kids all enjoyed being part of the decorations.

Next year we will each make a new one and add to the collection of fish hanging!

I had fun making some cupcakes this year too. I have this love-thing for bluebirds so right after Easter I saw the blue peeps and bought a few packages and froze them. Not only did they make a few grandchildren smile and make a big chocolate mess but they complimented my theme with the Go Fishing Prizes, the bluebird water whistles (which the parents did NOT like!) I have a few that will be enjoyed ONLY at Lolli and Pops house:)



I really had fun making these monkey cupcakes!
You can see I used minature oreos for ears, vanilla wafers for the mouth, and reeses pieces for the eyes along with lots of chocolate icing and a little white icing too.

A bunch of monkeys need some bananas, don't they? I used candy "runts" for the banana decorations along with a few chocolate sprinkles.

Mercy, I had so much fun getting ready this year!

post signature

No comments: