Thursday, January 7, 2010

Paul's Wastebasket

Last Sunday our pastor preached a sermon titled Paul's Wastebasket. It was based on the verse in Phillippians 3:13. "...for this one thing I do, forgetting what is behind." Some people, like me, listen more intently when there is a word picture. I sat there listening and writing as Brother George challenged us to throw away 3 things as we start this new year:

1. our disposition to quit = more specifically to make an effort to come back when you are down.
2. our desire to continue a bad habit = more specifically making excuses over and over to keep doing something that is not pleasing to the Lord
3. Our determination NOT to forgive = more specifically not letting those hurts, resentments, prejudices, and bitternesses live inside of us any longer.

So what did I do later that day? I made a rather unlikely centerpiece for our dinner that night.

After we ate, we discussed the things we both needed to throw away that fit into those 3 categories. I cut strips of paper and one by one, Jack and I both penned specifically and individually the things that we needed to throw away and will help us forget what we are leaving behind.

Rest assured, I have already been in need of repenting again of something I wrote on a slip of paper. It is a start and it is a process. I continue to press on and leave behind many things...
..and my trashcans are now vivid reminders of my need to do this regularly.


post signature

No comments: