Tuesday, April 13, 2010

preparations

Preparing for a mission trip is like no other trip you can take. You travel with people you would not ordinarily travel a week or so with. You pack your clothes knowing they will become very dirty or may not even return home with you. You focus on the gifts in your heart that you will give instead of the gifts you might get while you are in a new place. You prepare to sacrifice your sleep and eatting routines and in our case our showering and daily water useage rituals (we can not drink their water or open our mouths while showering or brush teeth under water from a sink faucet - must use bottled water at all times). You know you will drag heavy trunks containing all our supplies needed for VBS and construction and medical needs.
Here I am today, a child born with a silver spoon in my mouth who spent the majority of my vacations in the nicest of hotels seeing the best of the United States. If anyone would have told me this is what I would be doing in my retired life and how I would be spending my traveling time and money, I would have disagreed and laughed with them at such an image.





Here I am today, a daughter of our Redeemer King, called to go and serve a poor part of this world, convinced that I have nothing to give of myself but everything to give through Christ who strengthens me, and anticipating every moment of the uncomfortable places we will travel with joy knowing I will share in the fellowship of my sisters and brothers in Christ. I am packing with abundant adrenaline because of the pure thoughts I have of playing and loving on the Nicaraguan children.
Lolli's loves are just days away from multiplying.


post signature

2 comments:

Burton said...

Awesome! Amen!

Amy said...

You go girl!!! Lots of love and prayers...Amy