Sunday, March 1, 2009

wacky weekend weather

All week long with beautiful spring like weather we took our routine walks around the neighborhood enjoying signs of spring everywhere wearing short sleeve shirts and seeing others with their shorts and flip flops. One day after telling my neighbor I saw the bluebirds recently checking out their favorite birdhouse in our backyard, I glanced outside our porch and was quite surprised to see this paper nailed to our tree!

That crazy Susan was sending "my" bluebirds a special notice to come over to her house where she had a vacancy in her backyard birdhouse! She had walked over early one morning in her robe to post that memo to the birds. Wish I had caught her in the act with my camera!

I have been preparing all week to give my neice a baby shower (carpets cleaned etc.) and everyday was just beautiful this week until Friday when the tornado warnings and watches reared their ugly heads. We were greeted Saturday morning bright and early at 6:30am with sirens blaring. A tornado actually touched down 2 miles away from us. As we sat on the interior bathroom floor, I surveyed the house that we had worked so hard to prepare for this party and all the food I had fixed, and I was completely aware that all that matters at a time like this is our safety. All the "things" we have can perish in a second. I prayed for our safety and for God to have mercy on my neice more than anything. She was the one who needed to be honored and this was to be her day. And He did have mercy! Several places in our area were badly damaged but not a branch from a tree was blown into our yard. Mercy me, there was some rain though, about 5 inches, but only lasting through the morning hours! The golf course had a lake of water formed on it but our yard was fine.

By 2:00 pm, the sun was shining, only a puddle was on our porch to show for all that rain and all the guests arrived safely coming from Atlanta, Troy and Birmingham where tornado warnings had also been present earlier that day.

The party went off with a wonderful time for all(will post those pictures next) and my newly cleaned carpets did not receive a footprint of rain on them. We even turned on the air conditioner during the party!


Now, we can hardly believe that we woke up this morning to SNOW! Snow in our area is almost unheard of anytime in winter and we had 2" accumulate by 11am and even now at 3pm it is still snowing! What a wacky week of weather for us here in the deep south. We got to wear all 4 seasons of our wardrobes in 1 week!



No comments: