Thursday, June 4, 2009

VBS - Day 1 & 2 in Los Guidos, Costa Rica

As part of the VBS Hiding God's word in your heart♥ theme, I was to be an example of Letting God's word be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my pathPsalm 119:105. I had a little fun coming up with my costume :) And I guess you are wondering what is up with the rubber chicken? Back in February at an AU basketball game at half time,I saw a game played with Aubie and the rubber chicken and knew right then it was something the kids of Costa Rica would enjoy.
Oh goodness, did they ever enjoy it! And our team got a big kick out of it too! Note the ♥ heart on the chicken...I know I am a little cheesy about my themes!



Those are real lamps on my feet that had battery operated lights that stayed on and a head light that stayed on my hat:) It is easy to be silly around children but yet teach them at the same time.
Lollipops are called "poppies" in spanish! They like them over there as much as my grandchildren like them in Auburn! Yendry was in my yellow group and such a sweetheart.

They loved the hand print painting and Asley,one of my group kids wanted to help blot the painting the whole time so they would be dry for them to take home. She found her niche and even gave up playing games so she could be a helper at this station.
Yellow group enjoying a lollipop while they memorized the Bible verse.

Each time they said the verse we lit them up with this heart♥ . Batteries became a good friend to me in VBS! :)



The kids were so patient waiting for their turn at the "chicken game".



One child stood with their back to the line of other kids while he attempts to throw with his back to the others and get the chicken in their basket (in our case here it was the trash can).


I could have brought Deimon José, a little sweetheart, home with me in a second.


And this little 10 year old girl stole my heart ♥ for sure on the first day of VBS. Maria Celeste was rather reserved and quiet in my group. As we were helping them decorate their canvas bags (to put all their crafts and goodies to take home in)I walked around looking at all their art work and was I ever shocked when I came up to Maria Celeste and she had written my name on her bag. It said "Julie I love you" under where she wrote "Jesus". Talk about overflow of God's love while working with children. Mercy, I can't tell you how my heart burst at that moment. ♥♥♥!

The next day Maria Celeste came back with her baby sister on her hip (all the older children are pretty much responsible for their baby siblings all day) and she had worn this pink shirt with little hearts ♥ on it on purpose. And she had dressed her baby sister in a Dora shirt with a heart ♥ on it. Now, I have on my heart ♥ to pray for this child regularly. She was special.




post signature

No comments: