Monday, April 20, 2009

This Monday ain't ordinary

This Monday started out very ordinary. Jack leaves early for his classes he takes(1.The Economy of our world and 2.The Greatest Architectural Achievements of the World = both would bore me to tears but hey, opposites we are, and I am glad he has many other senior friends here in Auburn who share that interest too)...so I jump into my routine of washing clothes, I straighten the house up, I glance out my porch door to see my birds and see this colorful duo:

and then I see this rose breasted grosbeak on the birdcake for the 1st time this spring!

and then I see the indigo buntings and the yellow finches having a little party out there


all this is somewhat ordinary for a Monday to me.
At 12 noon, the phone rings and it is Jack. I think, as I am looking at caller ID, "well, he is going to offer to pick us up a sandwich on the way home, how sweet" but I also think "no, we ate fast food 3 times recently, I thought he was tired of it". Then I pick up the phone and he says with a little emotion "I am in the driveway. If you want to see a snake in our driveway before I run over him you better come to the front door NOW".
Can you say, "heart of mine stop beating so fast NOW"! Oh My! I looked out the front door windows and I felt as if I was looking at Satan right between his eyes. He and his 4 foot slimey body was just a moving back and forth having himself a good ole time scratching his snakeskin tummy on OUR driveway (how dare him)! Jack then proceeds and drives straight over his middle and he rared up and stayed in one place...I run to get my camera then....

so Jack backs up and guns the car again over him and some of the insides squish out (GROSS... I know but you need all the details)

and then I see my husband back up one more time and gun his beloved car straight for the snake's head and he missed it but looked to us and from the sound I heard inside this house, he snapped the neck and Mr. snake curls up right there and started his death sentence. Jack looks proud and pulls into the garage and we both survey the dying snake from a distance.

After calming down for the next 10 minutes, we walked away to start some kind of lunch making (not really hungry after that kind of excitement but it is our routine ya know). Jack states that he will go out to the driveway AFTER lunch and clean up "the mess". 10 minutes later, I go over to the window to keep an eye on "the mess" and Oh my gosh, he is gone! That neck that snapped and those beady little eyes that were on our driveway now are off somewhere between our property and let's hope the golf course woods. No rest for the snake weary, that's for sure.
I write all this with great hesitation because of my grandchildren and their parents who read this. I will always be overprotective when we play outside, don't you worry! It is inevitable that snakes will be around when you live near a golf course and the woods but at times like this, I am reminded of just how careful we need to be. That snake was not a snake in the grass, he was a snake in our driveway! Today aint no ordinary Monday. (...and I thought I would not have many highlights for this week and it is only Monday:)


post signature

1 comment:

jessica said...

i knew it was a snake! yuck that you don't know where it is! Just watch Lily Kate next time she is there because you know she will find it and try to eat it!
still no word back on the offer. will hopefully hear something tomorrow!