Wednesday, October 20, 2010

He hates it when I'm right

So if you have been in touch with me lately, you know I've been plagued with noises in the attic AGAIN! Yes, about 8 years ago we heard or I should say, I heard, little scratchy noises in the attic and it took me weeks to convince someone that I was not imagining things. My pest control company got to know me well then because I kept them coming til satisfaction was in order. They in fact finally found an opening in the chimney area where a little pesty mouse was coming in the attic and he eventually died giving us the horrible odor of his death for weeks that year. He died somewhere imbetween our walls and no one could discover his body. It was a long time for me to ignore that smell and I worked hard at disguising it around here. Maybe that is where all my baking cakes and such sweet things has been a good thing!

So after another scratching episode about 6 weeks ago, pest control found several dead mice up there again after setting out some bad stuff and they carried off 3 blind (dead) mice and thought they were once and for all free of my calls. They carefully checked all areas in , and around our house for possible openings. The trees may be to our disadvantage in this area of our lives. Otherwise I LOVE our trees as much as I love the birds and the porch.

So then about 2 weeks ago, I distinctly heard the scratching "upstairs" again and begged God for mercy among many phone calls once again to our friendly Pest Control Service. My partner here, again, thought "there she goes again" and tried to ignore me at times. But then that horrible odor became apparent to both of us and I called you know who. They decided to send the SUPERVISOR to check out my complaints. He was just as anxious as we were to solve this puzzle. He checked out the attic and found nothing that day and that particular afternoon the smell was sort of faint. He did set a few new traps and he left making me feel a bit paranoid. For the next week, the smell grew really BAD and I called and asked to speak to the surpervisor. He came quickly and looked high and low and alas found the problem hidden among the insulation once I pointed out about where I usually smelled "the smell".
That disgusting little creature must have eatten some pretty good Christmas decorations up there because his bee-oh was enough to make the Pest Control Supervisor a bit nauseated too once he captured his body in a disposable bag.
He spent about 2 hours here that day making sure we had no possible openings to the attic and doing a very complete survey of the situation.

All this to say I know my husband hates it when I'm right but in this case he is glad I am a determined indivdual anyway. I don't think there is a husband out there that does like to admit their wife has a better instinct when it comes to this stuff.
And just so I give you a visual picture of what I am talking about without showing you any dead mice, here is a photo of another episode around here recently and another reason he hates it when I'm right. Usually I am the one to pick out ANY flower planted around here but this particular Fall, I asked him to go without me and pick out 2 yellow mums for our front pots. I specifically said get 2 JUST ALIKE and you can't go wrong.
When he came home and I saw not 2 but 4 pots and the leaves looked a bit different, I hesitated to point out that I had my doubts they were just alike. But I encouraged him to go ahead on and plant them and said "we'll see". I continue to try and give him some slack. But really...
He swore they were all 4 identical because they were all in same area and had same tags. He then said he had to get 4 because there were none big enough or they were too big to fill our pots. Of course at that time, they were all little green buds and you could not see any color yet.

SO, here they are in full bloom. Does anyone see 4 just alike?


In case you drive by our house, I am keeping it this way just to remind myself he tried and I KNOW HE HATES IT WHEN I'M RIGHT!!!

post signature

1 comment:

jessica said...

gross about the mouse! glad you persisted!
And you should know of all people that if your husband isn't a certified horticulturist than don't send him by himself to get plants! Rookie mistake Mom :)! You only send them to get milk and bread! HAHA!