Thursday, July 30, 2009

Potluck friends


My Potluck friendships are so deeply rooted in me that no blog post can tell you how much they mean to me. Whenever we have a get together (which is usually once a year)it is top priority to be there. This year baby Knox's birth was my top priority and I had already prepared myself to miss the planned gathering at Sarah's bay house in Bon Secour.
The timing was just too good to be true when baby Knox decided he was coming early on the day before my friends were to all go down to the reunion. (I love that my grandson is already consious of showing up on time for a party.... he is starting out already as a kind and considerate child!)
Sarah was our unbelievable hostess with the mostess. She fixed a shrimp dinner for our first night there that put Southern Living and Martha Stewart to shame.


that crazy nut went out the week before and got a fake crab tatoo to joke us! We never underestimate the pranks of this gal!
Sarah's family has entertained each one of us here as children at the bay house. We all have some favorite memories of our times together here.
Miriam is our animal lover and she had a good time walking Sarah's 2 puppies during our stay at the bay. (Sarah's husband is a Veterinarian and they have pets galore)
a 5 month old corgie (Woogie) and a 7 week old lab mix (Harper)
Fancy Nancy entertained us during cocktail hour with charades from our past! Sarah of course had some of our old music from the 60's & 70's playing on her IPod on the deck.
Try to picture 7 friends from childhood sitting and dancing on the deck of the bay. Fun Fun Fun....Hooping and hollering too......


Ree forgot to wear her sunscreen on the boat ride but she tans so pretty afterwards that we did not fuss at her too much :)
Our boat ride through the bay was a highlight!
"Captain Leggs" gave us a great tour. We rode all the way to LuLu's and by the Wharf at Orange Beach on the bay. I heart ♥ riding in a boat and I extra heart ♥ being with these friends.

We were thrilled to see porpoises so close to the boat while we cruised around the bay!
Martha is the baby of our group and was "voted" in after we originally started meeting as "Potluck" in High School. All of us grew up in the same church but we went to different schools. From the church nursery to the MYF youth group ,we have been together all our lives. Sarah even had our youth group minister call us the first night and that was really neat to hear from him and also for him to hear all of us together after all these years.
Kay and I love Sea N Suds and have some special memories of this place from our 20ish years. Kay has had a very tough year and we were all so pleased and blessed with her presence. She has to travel the farthest from Memphis so her trips to be with us are very valuable.
Sweet Kay brought each of us special dish towel favors. As you can see the Bama girls outnumber the AU girls (Kay, Sarah and I went to Au). But make no mistake, the college rivalry shared between us will never separate the friendships here.
I have noticed we don't plan any of our reunions in the Fall months though:)
I wish all of you could have a group of friends like this! I love love love em!
♥ ♥ ♥

post signature

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Oh Julie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post! The whole time I was reading it I had a smile on my face. :) You and your potluck friends are so blessed to have had each other all these years. There is just something about "old" friendships that are so meaningful and endearing. Great photos.
love you!!